Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Selected Poems

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

- William Blake, from Milton

-----

The shades of night were falling fast,
As through an Alpine village passed
A youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,
A banner with the strange device,
Excelsior!
...

And from the sky, serene and far,
A voice fell, like a falling star,
Excelsior!

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Excelsior

------

Sail forth--steer for the deep waters only,
Reckless O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me,
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!

- Walt Whitman, from Passage To India


No comments:

Post a Comment